Using kSar with Red Hat Enterprise (or CentOS) 7

Hi,

I really like using kSar for troubleshooting on Linux, but it doesn't work out-of-the-box with version 7 of Red Hat Enterprise Linux or its derivatives (CentOS, Scientific Linux, etc.).  It just doesn't work with the standard "sar -a" command, so one of my colleague had a bit of free time and found the combination of arguments that makes it work. It looks like there is one of the options that are included in -a was not included in previous versions, and kSar cannot process the additional output.

Here's the command line that works:

sar -bBdqrRSuvwWyp -I SUM -I XALL -m ALL -n ALL -u ALL -P ALL

The 'p' is, however, optional. I add it to have pretty names for disks instead of dev2-0, dev253, etc.

On a side note, if you want to have better results, change the frequency at which the sar cronjob runs (in /etc/cron.d/sysstat, change the '*/10' by just '*'). Also, if you want to see 'waiting for I/O' data with RHEL 7, go in the Options menu, and click "Show CPU usage stacked"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

General linux performance troubleshooting

Asterisk works under OpenVZ (no zaptel)