Virtualization makes another thing easier: complete, bare-metal backups. With this contributed package (vzdump), it is very easy to make backups of complete VE, sometimes with only little distruption.
- Can send an e-mail when finished
- Can compress the resulting tarball
- Can selectively back up individual VE, or just all of them
- Can use different method to make sure the snapshot is consistent (stop the VE, suspend the VE, LVM snapshot)
- Restoring is very easy and the VEID can be different than the original
- Can do differential backup using xdelta (not tested myself)