Virtual Private Servers Pitfalls

It didn't take much time until I found pitfalls with VPSs. Today, I got bit by memory problem. My VPS had 128 MB RAM max. Before installing my usual packages, the memory usage was around 20 MB. Nothing! :). But then I installed my packages, forgot to tweak apache to minimize memory requirement. Installed mysql for cacti, configured cacti...

Then, this morning, I realize that many processes were missing on my VPS. Why? I had enabled the yum daily cronjob.... mistake! Do you have an idea of how much memory yum uses? Too much.

Tektonic told me that they stopped selling UM0 packages because of that: too many clients having memory problems. I upgraded my plans to UM1. I'm wondering though... how does Vpslink do with the smallest plan, only 64 MB RAM!

I can't end this post without adding again how much helpful the folks at Tektonic have been up to now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

General linux performance troubleshooting

Asterisk works under OpenVZ (no zaptel)