SquidGuard

Hi,

I played with SquidGuard in the past few days to control what users can access on the net and when. Is it quite a great package, as it did what I needed to do. That is basically how it works:

  • You can define Time Spaces
  • You can define source groups (hosts or networks, or IP addresses ranges, or users)
  • You can define destination groups (domains, urls, regex)
  • Finally, you define acls with all those parameters
  • You can add blacklists to the mix
I have recommendations for people who would like to try squidguard:

  • Don't forget that SquidGuard is a redirector, if you don't configure a redirect URL, it will do not block anything
  • Check all the logs
  • You need to know that when SquidGuard encounters a problem (config or else), it goes into emergency mode, in with it does nothing (nothing is blocked)
  • I suggest you avoid using the webmin module. I can't tell it is 100% sure you'll have trouble with it, but I lost many hours because of it. If I can find some time eventually, I'll report more on what problems I've met. Feel free to post comments on your experiences with proxies...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

General linux performance troubleshooting

Asterisk works under OpenVZ (no zaptel)